Marketing and Visual Design Intern
Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt, May/June – August/September 2024
Reports to: Marketing and External Affairs Manager
Salary: $18.00 hourly
The Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway, is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual to join our team as our Marketing and Visual Design Intern in late spring/summer 2024. The primary role of the Marketing and Visual Design Intern is to assist the Outreach department in its daily operations.
The Marketing and Visual Design Intern will help the Conservancy connect with the diverse audience of visitors that come to The Greenway. The intern will promote Greenway offerings and build support for the Conservancy through creation and distribution of written and visual content, including signage, email, and social media, maintaining brand consistency throughout scope of work. Independent projects may vary based on interests and experience of candidates – we are interested in candidates with a strong interest in both communications and graphic design.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
Marketing and Social Media
- Generate compelling and timely content for our blog, website, social media (Facebook, X, Instagram, LinkedIn), and weekly e-newsletter.
- Assist with creating video content for social media.
- Assist with creating advertising campaigns via social media and traditional advertising channels.
- Assist with drafting press releases, media advisories, and content to announce Conservancy initiatives and events.
- Research and pursue opportunities to engage with local reporters and other influencers.
- Provide assistance with digital asset management by maintaining Conservancy photo library, signage templates, etc.
- Assist the Visual Design Coordinator in creating Conservancy design materials, including in-park signage, digital assets, collateral material, and advertisements.
- Assist in creating digital and print templates for Outreach and other departments to use.
- Help ensure brand consistency by learning our brand guidelines and advising departments in following them.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Entry-level position for a person 18 years or older.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with
- Written communications and social media;
- InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop;
- Cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Multitasking and attention to detail;
- Creative problem-solving.
- A plus but not required
- Existing knowledge of Boston/Commonwealth neighborhoods;
- WordPress or other website development software;
- Knowledge of photography and/or videography
- Written/spoken Chinese language proficiency;
- Experience with volunteer programs;
- Knowledge of The Greenway, open space issues, and/or non-profits.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- This is a paid position with sick time benefits. Compensation will be $18/hour.
- The position duration is ~15 weeks, beginning in May or June and ending in late August or early September. We are looking for assistance up to 40 hours per week but will consider part-time schedules.
- Work hours are generally Monday through Friday 9am-5pm, though there may be Greenway and community events in the evenings or weekends. These would be communicated with as much time as possible to plan and a day off within the same week will be provided in return for any additional work days.
- Work will generally take place indoors, but there may be some outdoor tasks in the park, such as taking photos or videos.
- The Outreach department operates on a hybrid schedule. Some remote work is possible, but candidates should be able to commute to our office in Downtown Boston
- We will work with interns to receive college credit if applicable.
- Greenway branded uniforms will be provided for outdoor work while indoor office attire is business casual.
- Please email the following to [email protected] with “Marketing and Visual Design Intern” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- One-page cover letter, including full or part-time availability
- Graphic design portfolio OR 3 examples of past design work
- Short writing sample
- 3 References
- Applicants are encouraged to send materials soon. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply. Both our office and the park are ADA accessible.
About The Greenway and the Greenway Conservancy (www.rosekennedygreenway.org)
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by law.