Donor Relations Coordinator
Status: Full time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Development
About us: The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston that welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy has sole responsibility for managing all aspects of the Greenway. We envision a vibrant, inclusive, and evolving gathering place that offers healthy green space; fun, engaging, and thought-provoking experiences; and a testing ground for new ideas. We pursue our mission through park care that sustains year-round beauty, ensures safety, and models environmental stewardship; robust programming that showcases and supports the ingenuity and breadth of our community; and temporary exhibitions of contemporary public art that facilitate artistic experimentation and speak to our current moment; raising the standard of excellence for urban park management.
We are an organization with a commitment to transparency, excellence, innovation; these values will shape our continued growth. We offer a competitive salary, very generous benefits, great colleagues, and opportunities to grow as a development professional and learn from your colleagues across the organization. Ever wondered how to start a pollinator garden or how a carousel operates?
Position Description: Our 2018 Strategic Business Plan outlines a plan to double philanthropic revenue by 2023, primarily through the expansion of individual giving. To meet this ambitious goal, the Development Department is in an exciting growth phase that includes the addition of new staff positions. Every member of our team will be critical to our fundraising success, which will enable the organization to expand programs, deepen community partnerships, and undertake major capital improvements. We are currently seeking someone who is passionate about ensuring that donors feel appreciated and valued, and thrives on helping donors become more deeply connected, engaged, and committed to the organization. We are looking for a skilled writer and project manager who has the self-determination and savvy to work with colleagues at all levels of the organization to ensure that donor relations plans are in place and successfully implemented.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Donor Relations Coordinator will work closely with the Senior Development Officer to support the Conservancy’s efforts to build a robust pipeline of individual major gifts. The Donor Relations Coordinator will ensure that donors and prospects receive personalized attention through warm and compelling gift acknowledgments, personal contact from senior staff, and engagement in behind-the-scenes opportunities and other special events that they help plan and coordinate. This position offers an excellent opportunity to advance a career in development and non-profit administration.
Donor Relations (50%)
- Research potential individual donors, including regular screening of new donors, event attendees, referrals, and prospective board members, etc. Work with Development staff to identify and assign researched prospects to appropriate staff members’ portfolios.
- Record and monitor cultivation and stewardship plans for individual donors in Salesforce, and support the Director of Development and Senior Development Officer by assigning tasks, producing reports, and participating in regular portfolio reviews.
- Generate content for all gift acknowledgements, keeping messaging fresh with timely invitations to participate in engagement activities and personalizing letters for special gifts.
- Support fulfillment of Mothers’ Walk pavers orders by providing excellent customer service to donors and project managing paver installation 3-4 times per year.
- Project manage the fundraising logistics of the Conservancy’s two major annual events (the Gala on The Greenway and Glow in the Park) including invitation content, marketing communications, and guest lists.
- Manage logistics of 4-5 small cultivation events a year including invitations, guest lists, venues, vendors, supplies, and communication with hosts.
- Manage Conservancy Development email account and provide assistance to donors and stakeholders by telephone and email.
- Maintain the Conservancy’s fundraising website pages.
- Coordinate and send Development correspondence via Mailchimp.
The Donor Relations Coordinator will have the opportunity to participate in activities that increase their understanding of the Conservancy’s work, such as semi-annual all-staff park clean-up events, field trips to peer organizations, brown bag lunch-and-learns, and monthly staff meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- At least 3 years of development experience.
- Excellent written communication skills and a customer-focused mindset.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM a plus.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, but occasional weekend days will be required.
- Flexibility is required to accommodate evening events and occasional travel.
- Work will generally take place indoors, but the position will require some time on The Greenway.
- Please email one-page cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with job title in the subject line. Each file name should begin with applicant’s last name.
- No phone calls, please.