Type of Position: Part-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Ecology and Horticulture Supervisor
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Rose Kennedy Greenway, seeks a Horticulture Intern to join our team. The Conservancy’s team of horticulture professionals care for nearly 17 acres of vibrant green space and extensive gardens including formal gardens, meadows, and native plantings, in the heart of downtown Boston, using ecological and organic practices. The Conservancy has been a pioneer in ecological horticulture; among the first in the nation to care for a public park completely organically.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
The Horticulture Intern will work closely with the Conservancy’s Horticulture Team to plant and maintain gardens throughout The Greenway. This position will gain valuable end-to-end experience in garden maintenance and ecological management techniques.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Gardening and landscape maintenance
- Hand watering and assisting in maintaining the park irrigation system
- Collecting ecological and horticultural data
- Staffing volunteer events
Time will also be allocated to an individual project, chosen by the intern and endorsed by the Horticulture staff.
Skills and qualifications
- Enrolled in a Horticulture program or related field, preferred
- Experience working in landscape maintenance, a plus.
- Ability to work outside in varying weather conditions and follow safety policies.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and kneel, stand, or walk for periods of time.
- Experience and/or interest in working in an organization dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Basic computer skills.
- Valid US driver’s license in good standing.
This internship is full-time (40hrs/week) from May through September with end date flexibility. Compensation will be $17.50/hour. Work hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30am – 3:30pm.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- The accepted candidate will be required to have a successfully completion of a CORI background check.
- Please email the following to [email protected] with Horticulture Intern in the subject line.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 3 references
- No phone calls, please.
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.