Horticulture Irrigation Technician
Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Horticulture Irrigation Technician
Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Superintendent of Horticulture
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking a Horticulture Irrigation Technician to become a member of our talented and passionate Horticulture team doing ground-breaking ecological Horticulture. This person will contribute to the care of The Greenway landscape, helping to provide a safe, clean park with beautiful horticulture for the public to enjoy. The Greenway Conservancy is an award-winning national leader in sustainable landscape care, with organic compost tea brewing, beehives, and more.
The primary role of the Horticulture Irrigation Technician is to monitor and maintain The Greenway’s irrigation systems. This includes troubleshooting and repairing problems, scheduling based on weather and plant conditions, and assuring that the system is working properly and sustainably. Additionally, small-scale design and installation projects, along with the record-keeping tasks are included in this role. The candidate will report to the Superintendent of Horticulture and work closely with the Ecological Health Care Horticulturist.
During periods of irrigation “down time,” the Horticulture Irrigation technician will also be expected to assist with the routine horticultural maintenance and care of The Greenway Parks. This requires the ability to recognize and perform best horticulture practices for a wide variety of herbaceous and woody plant material in an urban park setting.
- Maintain the Greenway’s Irrigation system in good working order throughout the season.
- Be responsible for Spring start ups and Fall winterizations.
- Adhere to an organic landscape maintenance program established by the Conservancy.
- Maintain an accurate parts and equipment inventory.
- Oversee Irrigation subcontractors as necessary, ensuring all work is done in a safe manner and to our specifications.
- Other Horticulture Department support
- Effectively perform Horticultural tasks such as weeding, pruning, deadheading, watering and plant installation as needed.
- Participate and contribute to the success of The Greenway’s volunteer program as needed.
- Work with Horticulture interns and act as a positive resource.
- Interact effectively with all departments to communicate park issues as they arise.
- Represent the Conservancy in a positive and professional manner with the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to a positive public experience, with concern for the environment and the public’s relationship with it.
- A positive attitude to contribute to a collaborative team environment.
Skills and qualifications:
- Ability to interpret irrigation maps and as-built drawings.
- Ability to understand and adhere to the Conservancy’s irrigation specifications
- Ability to perform sustainable irrigation practices and water conservation techniques.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills, sound organizational and technical skills.
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions as required.
- A genuine interest in Irrigation and organic and sustainable landscape practices with a willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of regional plant identification and their basic needs.
- Computer proficiency – GMail, Google Docs, Sheets, and Calendar.
- Commitment to efficient, high quality work production.
- Must have a valid US driver’s license in good standing
- Bachelor or Associate degree in Horticulture or related field preferred. Relevant education and/or work experience may be acceptable.
- 2 or more years of practical experience operating, troubleshooting and repairing irrigation systems with experience working with commercial type systems a plus.
- 2 or more years of Horticulture field experience.
- CIC or other Irrigation Association certifications are a plus as well as AOLCP, MCH and/or current MA Hoisting license.
- Experience with a Baseline controller system a plus
- Experience working in an urban public park or garden is a plus.
Physical demands/working conditions/safety:
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Proficient with the safe operation of tools, vehicles, and horticultural equipment.
- Must be able to work in a safe manner with an awareness of surroundings and their relation with it, providing a safe environment for all who enjoy The Greenway.
This is a full-time(5 day/40 hour a week), year round position with a full package of benefits, including health care. The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 7:30am–3:30pm, but may include weekend, evening, and holiday work as necessary.
- Please email the following to jobs@RoseKennedyGreenway.org with the job title in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 3 references
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.