Seasonal Park Ranger
Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Seasonal Park Ranger
Type of Position: Seasonal (6 months) Full-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Senior Park Ranger, Maintenance and Construction Supervisor
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated individual for a seasonal, full-time position as Park Ranger. This is an opportunity to join a young, dynamic organization and work to improve a premier public space. This position works with all Conservancy departments to act as an ambassador and address issues that arise on The Greenway. The effective dates for this seasonal position are anticipated to be from May 1 through October 31, 2021.
- Conduct foot patrols of The Greenway regularly, complete written reports.
- Log all activities in a data collection system.
- Act as a Conservancy ambassador, engaging visitors, providing information, way-finding and other appropriate assistance.
- Provide knowledge and information about public events and art exhibits on The Greenway.
- Identify and communicate issues with Greenway infrastructure to appropriate departments.
- Monitor public events and art exhibits.
- Communicate park rules, address any violations.
- Respond to reported incidents and calls for assistance.
- Address any criminal activity that is encountered, summon help if needed.
- Collect “sharps” when found.
- Address medical emergencies and summon medical help when needed.
- Maintain relationships with law enforcement.
- Maintain relationships with human service agencies who provide assistance for individuals on The Greenway with such needs, attending meetings as needed.
Skills and qualifications:
- Prior park ranger, security and/or ambassador experience preferred.
- Strong customer service experience and skills, comfortable interacting with all Greenway visitors.
- Training or willingness to receive training in CPR, first aid and administration of Naloxone (Narcan) required.
- Interest in the history of The Greenway, Boston and the Big Dig and the willingness to learn about these topics is required.
- Patience and interest in working with the public is required.
This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), seasonal, non-exempt position.
- Flexibility will be required to accommodate evening, weekend, and holiday work shifts.
- Benefits provided with this position include, but are not limited to, paid time off, paid sick time, health and dental insurance.
- Uniform shirts, caps, and jackets provided.
- Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title “Seasonal Park Ranger” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 3 references
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.