Type of Position: Full-time, May/June-August/September 2024, non-exempt
Reports to: Ecology and Horticulture Supervisor
Salary: $18.00 hourly
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Rose Kennedy Greenway, seeks a Horticulture Intern to join our team. The Conservancy’s team of horticulture professionals care for nearly 17 acres of vibrant green space and extensive gardens including formal gardens, meadows, and native plantings, in the heart of downtown Boston using ecological and organic practices. The Conservancy has been a pioneer in ecological horticulture; among the first in the nation to care for a public park completely organically.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
Summary of Duties
The Horticulture Intern will work with the Conservancy’s Horticulture Team to maintain the landscape and gardens throughout The Greenway. This position will gain valuable end to end experience in general garden maintenance and ecological management techniques; assist with record keeping; assist with maintaining tools and equipment and work in the nursery area supporting plant care. The position reports to the Ecology and Horticulture Supervisor; supports the year-round Horticulturists and Senior Horticulturist and Designer; and helps to realize the vision of the Director of Horticulture. The Intern will work with Volunteers, support other departments and engage the public.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Gardening and general landscape maintenance, such as: planting, pruning, weeding, watering, mulching, etc; assists with irrigation repairs.
● Watering and upkeep of seasonal container displays throughout the park.
● Assists with collecting ecological and horticultural data; help with plant records.
● Participate in volunteer events; opportunity to contribute to social media content.
● Support programs and events in the park.
● Engage with visitors and help provide a positive experience on The Greenway.
● Additional tasks as requested to help maintain the park and landscape.
The Horticultural intern may choose to work on an individual project; however this is not an expectation. Areas of concentration and topics have been developed by the department, and the Intern can expand or reshape these for approval by the Director.
Appropriate Skills and Qualifications
● Enrollment in a Horticulture program or related field is preferred.
● Experience working in garden and landscape maintenance is helpful in this role.
● Interest and knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion is valued by The Greenway.
● Ability to engage and support a wide variety of people is useful in this position.
● Valid US driver’s license in good standing.
● Knowledge of computer applications is beneficial; training is available.
● Essential and on-site assignment with work-life balance opportunities.
● Full-time, 5-days and 40 hours-per-week position; assignment typically runs through June, July and August with some flexibility for the start and end dates available.
● Work week is Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 3:30pm with paid 15-minute morning break and 45-minute lunch break.
● Must be able to work outside in all types of weather; rain and winter outfitting is provided.
● May be stationary and experience changes in position for periods of time; requirement to move up to 50 lbs can be expected.
● Safely ascending to various heights is part of the work experience.
● Making observations are included in daily operations.
● All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
● The accepted candidate will be required to have a successful completion of a CORI background check.
Compensation and Benefits
● This is a paid position with sick time benefits. Compensation will be $18/hour. Scheduled overtime (1.5 x rate/hr) to support work plans is possible on weekends, evenings and holidays.
● Three to four (3-4) full holidays depending on start and end dates.
● Pre-tax commuter benefits.
● Branded workwear is provided, including short and long sleeve shirts, hats, sweatshirt, winter jacket and rain gear.
● Free/discounted admission to many cultural organizations in New England.
● Please email the following to [email protected] with Horticulture Intern in the subject line.
o one-page cover letter
o one-page resume
o 3 references
● No phone calls, please.
● The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.