Top ‘Greenway Moments’ of 2015!
2015 was a banner year on The Greenway as we set another record for park visitorship, hosted over 300 free events, and attracted numerous artists and designers to create thoughtful installations throughout the park.
All of this is done through the work of the non-profit Greenway Conservancy. As the year winds down, we asked the staff of the Conservancy to offer their picks for ‘Top Ten Moments’ of 2015. But with so many great events, we ended up with a Top 20! And at the bottom of this page you can vote on YOUR top 10 events of the year!
20. Spring Food Truck Festival (Sponsored by Stop & Shop and Peapod)
17. Lawrence Weiner creates new work as fourth Greenway Wall mural in Dewey Square (in partnership with MIT List Visual Arts Center)
16. Free Fun Friday at the Greenway Carousel draws 2,000 riders (Sponsored by Highland Street Foundation)
15. Greenway Conservancy completes North End Parks improvement project
14. New Boston Public Market opens and Greenway continues partnership with BPM on Dewey Square and North End farmers markets
13. Over 27,500 bulbs bloom into flowers throughout The Greenway in Spring 2015
12. Hugely popular Dewey Square Block Parties complete 2nd full season (in partnership with Boston Calling)
11. First Greenway ‘Glow in the Park‘ event for young professionals sells out as Conservancy launches new Young Friends group
10. Four winning Design Biennial Boston entries selected and installed on Greenway
9. 6th Annual FIGMENT Boston participatory art festival enjoyed across five Greenway parcels
8. 6th Annual Greenway Gala includes Lantern Procession and dance performances under the Echelman sculpture
7. Kyu Seok Oh installs ‘Wandering Sheep‘ in Greenway’s Chinatown Park
6. Greenway teams with Coolidge Corner Theatre to launch outdoor movie series
5. Greenway installs swinging park benches in North End parks
4. Strandbeests invade Dewey Square Park (in partnership with Peabody Essex Museum)
3. Samuel Adams’ For the Love of Beer Festival draws thousands on a Saturday in November
2. Five-night ‘Let’s Dance, Boston’ draws massive crowds for dance lessons and live band performance (in partnership with Celebrity Series of Boston)
1. Greenway Conservancy commissions artist Janet Echelman to create “the most galvanizing piece of public sculpture in Boston in living memory” as installation process captivates Greater Boston
Honorable Mention: Greenway launches ‘Caroling at the Carousel‘; Boston Ballet debuts Mahler’s 3rd with free performance beneath Echelman sculpture; Dunkin’ Donuts and Spotify offer free concert in Dewey Square Park; Governor Baker and Mayor Walsh volunteer at Greenway 9/11 event; 10th Anniversary Films at the Gate offer multi-night outdoor movie series; and Greenway installs hammocks beneath Echelman sculpture!
Want to offer your own? Take the survey here!