What’s in Bloom?
By Matthew Lobdell
Jacob Cline Scarlet Bee Balm (Monarda didyma ‘Jacob Cline’)
Bee Balm is now in bloom in the Fort Point Channel Parks. As the name implies, the scarlet colored flowers are a popular destination for both bees and butterflies. A lower-growing variety, ‘Fireball’, is also currently blooming in Dewey Square Park.
Sunset Big Sky™ Coneflower (Echinacea ‘Sunset’)
Sunset Coneflower, a member of the Big Sky series, is an orange flowering variety of the generally purple Coneflower. Though it had begun to enter bloom last week, with the younger flowers emerging a pale orange-yellow, it is now in full bloom with the flowers matured to a deep orange. It flowers alongside another orange variety, ‘Art’s Pride’, as well as the purple-flowering Echinacea purpurea.
Zagreb Tickseed (Coreopsis ‘Zagreb’)
Now in full bloom in the Fort Point Channel Parks, the golden flowers of Zagreb Tickseed are bright and plentiful enough to be noticed by those driving southbound on Purchase Street. A paler colored variety, ‘Crème Brule’, is also currently flowering in Dewey Square Park.
Throughout the parks, multiple varieties of Daylilies are beginning to flower, but few have reached their peak. The display however, particularly in the North End Parks, is worth keeping an eye out for as we roll into late June.
- North End Parks: Cinderella Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata ‘Cinderella’), Rocket City Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Rocket City’), Leebea Orange Crush Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Leebea Orange Crush’)
- Wharf District Parks: Sweetbay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana), Shrubby Cinquefoil (Potentilla fruticosa), Olympica Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia ‘Olympica’)
- Fort Point Channel Parks: Husker Red Foxglove Beardtongue (Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’), Lady’s Mantle (Alchemilla mollis), Annebelle Wild Hydrangea, (Hydrangea arborescens ‘Annabelle’)
- Dewey Square Park: The Fairy Rose (Rosa ‘The Fairy’), Rozanne Geranium (Geranium ‘Rozanne’), Moonshine Yarrow (Achillea ‘Moonshine’)
- Chinatown Park: Macrantha Pink Indica Azalea (Rhododendron indicum ‘Macrantha Pink’)