Marketing and External Affairs Manager
Type of Position: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Programs and Community Engagement
The Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway, is seeking a professional and creative individual to join our team as the Marketing and External Affairs Manager. This role will plan, direct, and implement public relations, marketing, communications, and stakeholder engagement, working closely with the Director of Programs and Community Engagement and the Conservancy’s leadership team.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
Marketing and Communications:
- Strategically market The Greenway and Greenway Conservancy in collaboration with the Outreach team
- Oversee development, implementation, and management of marketing programs and materials, including electronic newsletters, social media platforms, physical collateral, and any other campaigns.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally and with the Outreach team to strategically choose and creatively message the Conservancy’s work, and implement marketing initiatives that prioritize inclusive messaging.
- With assistance of the Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator, actively manage and assess the Conservancy’s website and manage Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts.
- Oversee the writing and distribution of press releases. Pitch, pursue, and secure local, regional, and national electronic and print media (radio, television, newspaper, magazine, and online) coverage of The Greenway and Conservancy offerings.
- Evaluate and monitor platform performance on an ongoing basis by analyzing key metrics.
- Implement advertising campaigns, including owned media and a small amount of paid ads.
- Implement strategies for in-park marketing, such as temporary and permanent banners and signage, working closely with the Visual Design Coordinator.
- Stay up-to-date on marketing trends, strategically improving the organization’s brand identity.
Community and Government Affairs:
- Support relationships with State and City officials.
- Coordinate attendance and attend select community meetings (e.g., NEWRA, NEWNC, Wharf District Council, Chinatown Safety Committee) to represent the Conservancy and give updates on a variety of initiatives and projects.
- With the Director of Programs and Community Engagement, plan strategically for strong community and stakeholder relationships. Proactively develop and deepen connections to diverse communities, expanding relationships beyond adjacent neighborhoods.
- Oversee the response to public inquiries.
Outreach Team Management
- Manage and mentor the Visual Design Coordinator, the Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator, and any Departmental interns.
- Work closely with the Director of Programs and Community Engagement to initiate and set goals for the Outreach team according to the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Monitor and improve systems and processes, assessing areas for continual improvement and innovative thinking.
- Other duties as assigned related to the Conservancy’s mission or to support partners or stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least three years of successful work experience in a related field, including nonprofit marketing, communications, press relations, government/community affairs, stakeholder engagement, etc. Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Superior demonstrated skills in:
- strong branding sense and ability to manage diverse marketing components to support messaging
- increasing brand awareness via social media outlets
- project management, tracking, and meeting a variety of deadlines
- building and maintaining successful stakeholder relationships
- managing, mentoring, and advocating for staff
- collaborative and facilitative leadership
- written and oral communication (bilingual skills a plus, especially in Chinese languages given our proximity to the Chinatown neighborhood).
- Detail-oriented, creative, flexible, collaborative.
- Experience with social media platforms, MailChimp, and WordPress
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Experience working in a diverse and inclusive organization is a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive Conservancy vehicles in downtown Boston to evaluate, install, and move signage.
- This is a full time (40 hours a week) position with full benefits.
- Work hours are generally Monday through Friday but flexibility is required, particularly for social media monitoring and some occasional evening or weekend shifts.
- Work will generally take place indoors, but the position will require some amount of time in the park.
- This is a hybrid position with the option to work remotely two days a week if the work allows.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 policies.
- $60,000 – $74,000/year
- Please email the following to [email protected] with “Marketing and External Affairs Manager” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 2 writing/marketing samples, including but not limited to social media campaigns
- 3 references
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.