The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is currently seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time summer position as a Horticulture Intern. This is an opportunity to join a team that is doing ground-breaking ecological Horticulture in a public park setting: among the first in the nation to care for a public park completely organically.
The primary role of the Horticulture Intern is to assist with all responsibilities involved with the Horticultural maintenance and care of the Greenway Parks. This requires the ability to recognize and perform best Horticultural practices including pruning and cultivation techniques for a wide variety of plant material in an urban park setting.
This is a full-time, (5 day/40 hour a week), temporary 12 week position from approximately mid-May through August, 2020. The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 3:30pm.
- Ability to adhere to an organic landscape maintenance program established by the Conservancy that requires a basic understanding of soil and plant biological concepts.
- Ability to comprehend and effectively perform assigned tasks such as weeding, pruning, deadheading, watering, and plant installation.
- Ability to demonstrate a basic knowledge of plant identification.
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Assist with Horticultural volunteer events.
- Participate in staff meetings designed to establish goals, priorities and effective communication.
- Represent the Conservancy’s interests to the public and outside organizations in a professional manner.
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks.
Knowledge and skills:
- Ability to work in an effective, productive, and safe manner.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance.
- Display a willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills that can contribute to a positive team environment.
- Be committed to contributing to a positive public experience, with concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time and be able to lift 50 pounds.
How to Apply:
Please send the following: (a) one page cover letter, (b) resume’ and (c) the names and contact information of three references by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Horticulture Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Interviews to be conducted now through Spring ’20.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.