2020 Summer Fitness on The Greenway
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is excited to announce our 2020 Greenway Fitness Season, presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The Conservancy’s free fitness classes from local gyms and instructors would typically have begun in May but due to COVID-19, many classes were postponed pending guidance from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the City of Boston.
The Greenway Fitness Program runs throughout the summer and offers free fitness classes across the park every Monday through Thursday and Saturday, with additional classes taking place on select Fridays and Sundays. This year’s offerings consist of a range of options including yoga, cardio dance, strength and conditioning circuits, and parkour workouts.
In person classes began on The Greenway on July 5, 2020. Participants are required to wear a face covering as well as sign-up in advance due to capacity restrictions to accommodate social distancing. Instructors will no longer use equipment with shared touch surfaces, such as hand-held weights and will instead offer more exercises that will incorporate the use of one’s own body weight; participants should bring their own mat for select classes. Instructors will make hand sanitizer available.
This year’s lineup on The Greenway includes the following:
- Zumba by the Wang YMCA, 6-7p, August 3-September 31, Chin Park
- HIIT by Healthworks, 5:30-6:30p, July 6-August 31, September 14-29, Rowes Wharf Lawn
- Social Boston Sports Cornhole League, 6:00p-8:00p, Session 2: July 28-September 8, India Street
- YOGA by B/SPOKE, 5:30-6:15p, September 8-29, Dewey Square Lawn
- TRAIN by B/SPOKE, 5:30-6:05p & 6:20-6:55, July 8-August 26, September 9, September 30, Dewey Square Lawn
- EquilibriOM Fitness by Namastay Sober, 6-7p, July 22, July 29, August 26, September 23, Rowes Wharf Lawn
- Social Boston Sports Cornhole League, 6:00p-8:00p, Session 2: July 30-September 10, Milk Street
- Lunchtime Flow by Body Lingua Yoga, 1:00-2:00p, July 9-30, August 13, Milk Street
- TRAIN by B/SPOKE, 5:30-6:05p & 6:20-6:55, September 24, Dewey Square Lawn
- Tango in the Park by Ultimate Tango (Virtual), 6:30-9:30p, July 11
- Cardio Dance by TRILLFIT, 11:00a-12:00p, July 18, August 8, August 29, September 5, September 26, Rowes Wharf Lawn
- “FIGHT THE POWER” Boxing Bootcamp by TRILLFIT, 11:00a-12:00p, August 1, August 22, September 12, Rowes Wharf Lawn
- SCULPT by TRILLFIT, 11:00a-12:00p, July 25, August 15, September 19, Rowes Wharf Lawn
- Tango y Vino by The Tango Society of Boston, 4:00-7:00p, September 13-27, Dewey Square Plaza
Additional workouts are also planned, including Moonlight Yoga by Peace in Boston (6-7p, July 5, August 3, and September 2, on Dewey Square), Circuit Training by UFC Gym Boston (12-1p & 5:30-6:30p, September 16, on Dewey Square), and Awaken: A Practice by Down Under school of Yoga (10:30-11:30a, August 15, on Dewey Square).
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to supporting our partners and neighbors during this unprecedented time. As we change the way we keep our minds and bodies healthy, we are thrilled to work with our fitness partners to bring you virtual classes from The Greenway into your own living room as part of our #BringTheGreenwayHome initiative!
In addition to the resources below, we’ll be streaming select fitness classes live from The Greenway! Stay tuned on our Instagram account for live classes and watch previous recordings on our Instagram TV Channel!
As things continue to change daily, we encourage you to double check these resources with each fitness provider.
- Armenian Heritage Park is hosting their Labyrinth Walking Wellness Series virtually through Zoom. Join them on, July 25 and August 22, 9:00a-9:45a. Pre-registration is required.
- Body Lingua Yoga is hosting online classes through zoom. All schedule updates can be found on their instagram page.
- Access Healthworks Virtual Classes On Demand. Healthworks Instructors and award-winning Personal Trainers are creating new videos every week to keep you moving, motivated, and reaching your goals with HIIT, Strength, Barre, Yoga, and Meditation.
- HUB Parkour are mainly working through their Instagram page and website for daily workouts, parkour tips and challenges to try at home!
- InnerCity Weightlifting will be hosting a virtual HIIT class on August 18, 5:30-6:30pm. Pre-registration is required..
- NamaStay Sober has created NamaStay Connected, an online series created in order to keep their community feeling connected and supported. Each day they will be offering a class (or two); meditation, yoga, community conversation or fitness. To register for classes please visit : https://www.namastaysober.com/news-and-events
- TRILLFIT recently launched it’s at-home platform. There are three on-demand workouts currently on the site, and during the week through their Mind Body page or through the website, folks can sign up for a 6:45 PM weekday classes and 9:30 AM weekend classes. ALL FREE! https://www.trill.fit/trillfit-at-home . Stay tuned because they are adding more virtual classes to the schedule as well as on demand videos.
- Ultimate Tango offers free solo workout under the name Classy Heels (45 min) and free partner workout with full explanations, demos and analysis of technique – Short Sequences (60 min). Warm up solo exercises (30 min) also available. New video every Tuesday. Check it out here: https://www.ultimatetango.com/blog
The Conservancy’s fifth year of partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts on the Greenway Fitness Program will connect those safely able to visit the park, as well as those at home, with free fitness and resources to stretch, strengthen, and unwind this summer.
“We’re excited to support the Greenway Fitness Program again this summer,” said Jeff Bellows, Vice President of Corporate Citizenship and Public Affairs for Blue Cross. “Free fitness classes in the heart of Boston, and virtually at home, offer a chance for regular physical activity and exercise that are critical to a healthy lifestyle.”
The Greenway Fitness Program will complement all that The Greenway has to discover. Visitors can explore our seven unique water features and unwind in our organically maintained lawns and gardens. Earlier this spring, the Conservancy announced the installation of a new artwork by Mexican-American master folk artist Catalina Delgado-Trunk and imminent installation of new artwork by renowned British-Nigerian artist Yinka Shonibare. Delgado-Trunk’s Global Connections: Mesoamerican Myths, the Domestication of Nourishment, and its Distribution and Shonibare’s Wind Sculpture (SG) V will be on display for one year and will join four other artworks currently on display on The Greenway. The Greenway Open Market takes place every Saturday and first and third Sundays of the month, and the Boston Public Market at Dewey Square has returned for the season,on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Greenway Food Truck Program and Greenway Carousel at The Tiffany & Co. Foundation Grove are operating with limited schedules.
All Greenway programming features enhanced cleaning and physical distancing procedures to promote safety for our park visitors. You can learn more about changes to Conservancy programming in the park and response to COVID-19 in our blog post, COVID-19 – Updates from the Greenway Conservancy. This information will continue to be regularly updated; you can also sign up for regular email updates from the Conservancy on our webpage.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (bluecrossma.com) is a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston. We are committed to the relentless pursuit of quality, affordable health care with an unparalleled consumer experience. Consistent with our promise to always put our members first, we are rated among the nation’s best health plans for member satisfaction and quality. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
About The Greenway and the Greenway Conservancy (www.rosekennedygreenway.org) The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
Original blog post July 7th. Updated on a regular basis to reflect new information.