Maintenance Field Technician
Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Maintenance Field Technology Lead and the Maintenance & Construction Supervisor
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a 17 acre linear park in the heart of Boston that is a diverse public space enjoyed by many. Approximately half of it is devoted to planted area and the other half to hardscape, which the Maintenance Field Technician will assist in maintaining. The hardscape includes many different types of pavement and masonry walls, seven water features, a custom carousel, more than 250 lights, as well as park benches and other furnishings. As the Maintenance Field Technician, you will have the opportunity to use a diversity of skills and knowledge to work with the Maintenance and Field Technology Lead and other Maintenance staff in the field.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Field Technology Lead and the Maintenance team in maintaining computerized controllers for fountains, lighting and electrical as well as all other aspects of hardscape maintenance including masonry, site furnishings, snow removal, artworks and structures.
- Assist the Maintenance team in supporting other Conservancy departments in their efforts to provide park visitors a safe and high quality experience on The Greenway, ensuring that you and the crew:
- Work safely to not endanger self or others.
- Operate and maintain tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe and proper manner.
- Represent the Greenway Conservancy in a professional manner.
- Communicate with other maintenance department members as needed.
- Assist in the operation of seven water features on the Greenway ensuring safe water quality at all times of operation, including maintenance, repair and cleaning.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of all electrical, lighting, and electronic systems and equipment in the Greenway parks, facilities and vehicles. This includes quality control, short and long-term planning, and managing inventory.
- Assist in responding to fountain, electrical, lighting, winter weather and other emergency situations on The Greenway on an as-needed basis.
- Assist with repair tasks as they arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to operate and maintain programmable controllers and PLCs found in municipal fountains, swimming pools, or similar is highly preferred.
- Ability to operate, maintain and troubleshoot advanced lighting systems including associated controllers is preferred.
- Experience in operation, care and maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use within the Maintenance Department is preferred.
- Degree from a technical school is preferred. Relevant education, work experience or apprenticeship may be acceptable.
- Certified Pool & Spa Operator or willingness to obtain certification is preferred
- OSHA 30 hour training preferred.
- Hoisting license – 1C, 2A preferred.
- First Aid/CPR certification is preferred.
- Must have a US driver’s license in good standing.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time and able to lift 80 pounds.
Knowledge and skills:
- Possess strong organizational, technical and analytical skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance
- Ability to work independently when required in an effective manner
- Willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets. Computer proficiency in common office programs such as Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google Calendar is required.
- Experience and skill using CMMS preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to a positive public experience, and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), permanent position, year-round, non-exempt position.
- Full benefits are included.
- The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday but may include some weekend and holiday work.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- From $55,000 – $65,00 annually
- Please email the following to: [email protected] with “Maintenance Field Technician” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- 3 references
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy:
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.