What’s In Bloom?
by Matthew Lobdell
Strawberry Candy Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Strawberry Candy’)
Though a great number of Daylillies are currently blooming all over the Greenway, the red-tinged pink flowers and yellow throat of Strawberry Candy truly make it one of the standouts. Strawberry Candy is currently blooming alongside a multitude of other daylilies in the North End Parks, including the orange ‘Rocket City’ and pale pink ‘Barbara Mitchell’.
Becky Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum ‘Becky’)
A European-native plant, Shasta Daisy has found a new home as a popular garden plant. The cultivar ‘Becky’ has been recognized as outstanding due to the bright whiteness of its flowers. The Becky Shasta Daisy is currently blooming in the Fort Point Channel Parks.
Karl Foerster’s Feather Reedgrass (Calamagrostis x acutiflora ‘Karl Foerster’)
Being such a reliable, low-maintenance plant, Karl Foerster’s Feather Reedgrass is one of the most popular ornamental grasses for gardens. It can be seen flowering in the “Urban Arboretum” between Oliver Street and High Street. A variegated cultivar, ‘Overdam’, is also currently flowering in the Fort Point Channel Parks.
Also in Bloom:
- North End Parks: Rocket City Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Rocket City;), Barbara Mitchell Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Barbara Mitchell’), Cinderella Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata ‘Cinderella’).
- Wharf District Parks: Marsh Blazing Star (Liatris spicata), Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa), Shrubby Cinquefoil (Potentilla fruticosa).
- Fort Point Channel Parks: Black-eyed Stella Daylily (Hemerocallis ‘Black-eyed Stella’), Annabelle Wild Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens ‘Annabelle’), Jacob Cline Bee Balm (Monarda didyma ‘Jacob Cline’)
- Dewey Square Park: Flying Saucers Largeflower Tickseed (Coreopsis grandiflora ‘Flying Saucers’), English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), Kim’s Knee High Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea ‘Kim’s Knee High’)
- Chinatown Park: Goldenrain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)