Plant Records Assistant
We ask volunteers for these assignments to contribute at least 1-3 hours per week on The Greenway or at our offices with flexibility in schedule.
Responsibilities of the Plant Records Assistant are shared among several volunteers based on individual skills and interests and may include:
- Phenology Data Collection: recording the flowering time, fruit production, and seasonal changes of the plants on The Greenway
- Verification: assisting Horticulture staff with the inventorying of plants through field verification and plant counts in the parks
- Plant Records Management: entering information into our inventory and database using Microsoft Excel; this data contributes to maintaining our maps, signage, records, and, over time, even global climate change data collection systems
- Interest and/or experience in horticulture or botany.
- All volunteers must complete a short orientation as well as meet with the Horticulture staff
- Previous experience working as a Greenway Horticulture Volunteer is desired but not required.
- Must have email and internet access, as this will be the primary means of scheduling and communication.
- Familiarity with plants, plant I.D. and botanical nomenclature.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Detailed, careful approach and interest in learning more about plant records.
Positions on this Volunteer Team are limited. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and as positions are available.