Plant Records Assistant
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to sustainability and horticulture best practices. Thanks to the support from Plant Records Assistant Volunteers we are able to collect and maintain our plant records to a high standard. We are looking for people who love gardens and plants and want to gain valuable experience and knowledge of our plant records and our ecological landscape approach. This involves a weekly visit observing the plants flowering stages and submitting your records monthly in a timely manner.
Volunteers will work with us to determine schedules and structure of experiences that best benefit both parties. Please note that our Horticulture staff works Monday through Friday, 7:30am-3:30pm.
Responsibilities of the Plant Records Assistant are shared among several volunteers based on individual skills and interests and may include:
- Phenology Data Collection: recording the flowering time, fruit production, and seasonal changes of the plants on The Greenway
- Verification: assisting Horticulture staff with the inventorying of plants through field verification and plant counts in the parks
- Plant Records Management: entering information into our inventory and database using Microsoft Excel; this data contributes to maintaining our maps, signage, records, and, over time, even global climate change data collection systems
There may also be opportunities to assist our staff in special projects in Horticulture.
- Interest and/or experience in horticulture or botany.
- All volunteers must complete a short orientation as well as meet with the Horticulture staff to begin and get input on projects.
- Must have email and internet access, as this will be the primary means of scheduling and communication.
Other requirements based on assignments include:
- Familiarity with plants, plant I.D. and botanical nomenclature.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with database management.
- Detailed, careful approach and interest in learning more about plant records.
- Phenology assistants will be expected to complete their work assignments weekly for 1-3 hours/week, preferably at the same time of week as decided by staff.
Positions for this opportunity are limited and there may be times when we are at full capacity. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and as positions are available.